The success of Sasamani's initiatives results from collaboration with four secondary schools in the area, dedicated teachers, and the support of students' caretakers. The longstanding partnership with the Bagamoyo District has been instrumental in the program's success. Sasamani's impact goes beyond the students they directly serve, as they contribute to the overall development of Bagamoyo. A positive cycle of progress and prosperity is created as students prosper and give back to their community.
The recognition gives us confidence and a sense of belonging to the society we work with. The partnered teachers felt valued for the effort they are constantly making to help the sponsorship students strive. As the Education Director, I felt rewarded to see the efforts made by the team Sasamani being recognized by the government. This is all thanks to the sponsorship students' commitment to achieving their educational goals.
Sasamani's holistic education sponsorship program continues to make a significant difference in the lives of students and the future of Bagamoyo. In celebrating Sasamani's accomplishments, we are reminded that education is the cornerstone of progress and has the power to transform lives and entire communities.
by: Serena Prince, 2023 Sasamani Intern, Government and Africana Studies Major at Connecticut College, USA.
Gratitude fills my heart as I reflect on an incredible summer journey with the Sasamani Foundation. I had the privilege of immersing myself in the heart of Tanzania, living with a host family in Bagamoyo for six weeks, and contributing to educational equity.
During my time with Sasamani, I had the honor of working closely with partner schools, local educators, and ambitious students. The experience taught me the immense power of education in transforming lives, transcending borders, and nurturing dreams. Sasamani's mission is to make education more accessible for women and girls by sponsoring students who show promise and connecting them with resources to guarantee their success in education and their personal development.
From supporting students with English, History, and Civics subjects to empowering them with mentorship, every moment was a step towards fostering a brighter future. I was able to work with local teachers to work towards improved lesson plans and share teaching methods. I even introduced an Art class to students, which is not a part of their standard curriculum, to become a space for students to embrace creativity and self-expression.
Beyond the academic realm, my journey in Tanzania enriched my cultural awareness, strengthened my resilience, and forged bonds that transcend geographical boundaries. Living in the local community and being engulfed by such an enriching culture was a truly transforming and humbling experience. I met so many amazing people who are now like family to me and explored some of Tanzania's diverse regions.
This journey has further ignited my passion for education equity, honed my cross-cultural communication skills, and deepened my commitment to driving positive change in underserved communities.
As I reflect on my time, I extend heartfelt gratitude to the Sasamani Foundation for their trust and support. A special thank you to Andy Halsey and Melissa Ryan for initiating my connection to this remarkable journey and The Posse Foundation for helping me to fund this opportunity. To everyone who cheered me on, thank you for being part of this journey. This is just the beginning, as the fire ignited in Tanzania fuels my drive to continue advocating for education equity and shaping brighter futures, no matter where the journey takes me.
Tutaonana baadaye, Tanzania 🇹🇿❤️
#educationequity #genderequity #internabroad
About the Sasamani Internship Program
The Sasamani Foundation partners with The Otto and Fran Walter Commons for Global Study and Engagement at Connecticut College. During the summer, the Sasamani Internship Program allows Connecticut College students to work with Sasamani-sponsored students in Bagamoyo, Tanzania. The interns contribute their unique talents and perspectives toward Sasamani's mission.
With the internship program, Sasamani aims to foster a new generation of young people passionate about making responsible, sustainable, and empowering change. Together with Tanzanian interns, Sasamani staff, beneficiaries, and partners, the interns from the U.S. work on projects empowering women and girls in East Africa.
Six of the Tech4All graduates holding their certificates. From left to right Evelyne, Sada, Ester, Kulwa, Lucia, and Mwanaheri.
On a momentous occasion, Sasamani proudly announces the graduation of its inaugural group of Tech4All computer literacy students in September 2023. This achievement is a resounding testament to the program's remarkable success in empowering individuals and unlocking new avenues of opportunity.
In June 2023,Tech4All officially launched with a clear mission: to provide every student in the Sasamani Education Sponsorship program with an opportunity to gain the essential skills and resources they need to thrive in today's digital landscape.
Jane M.K., Sasamani's esteemed Tech4All partner from PM Tech in Bagamoyo, delivering the computer certificate course, expresses her pride in these sponsored students, 'I am immensely proud of how fast and effectively the Sasamani students adapt and learn.'
Mwanaheri, a 2023 Tech4All Graduate and Sasamani Education Sponsorship student, shares her transformative journey in this video:
Tech4All is an initiative by the Sasamani Foundation dedicated to bridging the digital divide in Tanzania and further empowering Sasamani Education Sponsorship students to shape their future. In a world where digital skills are paramount, Sasamani firmly believes every student deserves access to computer literacy and the opportunity to unlock their full potential. Tech4All provides access to a three-months computer literacy certificate course and computer and Internet access at the Sasamani Office in Bagamoyo, Tanzania, to all 200 Sasamani Education Sponsorship students.
For further details about Sasamani Tech4All and to support the impactful program, click the button below.
The Sasamani sponsorship program in Bagamoyo, Tanzania, is a powerful force for change, offering holistic educational support to girls from vulnerable families. Here are five key reasons why the Sasamani sponsorship matters:
1. High Graduation Rates: The Sasamani sponsorship program boasts an impressive graduation rate, with 95% of sponsored students successfully completing middle school. This accomplishment is particularly striking compared to the national average in Tanzania, where only 35% of girls complete middle school. But it doesn't stop there; 100% of eligible Sasamani-sponsored students continue their education, enrolling in tertiary institutions such as college and vocational schools. This result starkly contrasts with the national average of only 7% of girls enrolled in tertiary education in 2020 (source: World Bank, 2020).
2. Empowering Vulnerable Families in Bagamoyo, Tanzania: The Sasamani sponsorship program has earned accolades from local authorities for its dedication to providing access to education to girls from the most vulnerable families in Bagamoyo. These families often struggle to meet basic needs, let alone fund their children's education. In partnership with the Bagamoyo District Government, Sasamani supports 200 students from secondary school onwards to achieve their educational goals, offering hope and opportunity to the sponsorship students, their families, and the Bagamoyo community.
3. Direct Impact of Donations: One remarkable aspect of the Sasamani sponsorship program is that 100% of the sponsorship donations go directly to the students. A holistic sponsorship for one student costs $360/ annually or $30/monthly, covering tuition fees, room and board, health insurance, school and hygiene supplies, and individual and group counseling. Every dollar contributed has a tangible, immediate impact on the lives of the sponsored students. It ensures that the funds are used where they are most needed in securing access to quality education for girls from the most vulnerable families in Bagamoyo, Tanzania.
4. Improved Outcomes of Graduates: The impact of the Sasamani sponsorship extends beyond graduation. The sponsor students report increased confidence, well-being, and clarity about shaping their future. Furthermore, sponsor students receive access to the knowledge and skills, including mentorship and basic computer literacy programs, to secure better job opportunities and contribute meaningfully to their families and communities, unlocking their potential and creating brighter futures.
5. Paying it forward: One of the most heartwarming aspects of the Sasamani sponsorship program is how graduates who have benefited from the Sasamani sponsorship program unite to give back to their community. These young women, empowered by education, become agents of change. They understand the transformative power of education, actively engage in community development initiatives, mentor the younger girls in the Sasamani sponsorship program, and advocate for girls' education.
In conclusion, Sasamani sponsorship is more than financial support; it provides hope and breaks the cycle of poverty for the next generation of young women in Bagamoyo. Through its holistic approach to education, Sasamani is opening doors to a brighter, more equitable future for these girls, their families, and the entire community. The impact of this sponsorship program reaches far beyond the classroom, making it a truly transformative initiative. By supporting the Sasamani sponsorship program, you are investing not just in education but you are investing in the belief that access to education enables girls to shape their destinies and contribute to a brighter future for Tanzania.